Now when it comes to skincare it is important to maintain a daily routine.
The three basic steps to maintain healthy beautiful skin are:
2. Toning &
Benefits Of Skin Toning
Generally, we tend to skip the step of toning thinking that it is not that important but, toning is an essential skincare step after cleansing.
Toning cleanses out our pores thoroughly and also removes the residue left after cleansing.
The two major benefits of toner are;
- To balance our skin’s PH level. (PH level plays an important role in minimizing the environmental damage and fighting the infections)
- Shrink and tightens the pores to avoid skin breakouts (such as pimples, blackheads, whiteheads) and open pores problem.
Generally, the ingredients used for toners have known for their astringent properties. Meaning they should be able to contract our skin cells in order to maintain a tight skin.
Let’s talk about some of the natural astringents;
First comes, Rose Water.
1. Aloe Rose Toner
Rosewater is the best and safest option for a toner.
It is fragrant, it has cooling properties and it shrinks the pores as well.
Extract fresh aloe vera gel from its leaf.
(To know the right way to extract aloe vera gel click here)
Take equal parts of:
- Freshly extracted Aloe Vera gel
- Stir and mix well. and add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to it. (*You can use rose essential oil to make the toner more effective)
- Mix well so that essential oil get properly mixed with the water part.
- Fill in an empty spray bottle using a funnel and store the bottle in the refrigerator.
Second widely popular toning agent is Witch Hazel.
2. Aloe Witch Hazel Toner
It is derived from a flowing plant and known for its cooling and astringent properties.
- 1 tbsp freshly extracted aloe vera gel
- 1/4 tsp witch hazel
- 1/8 tsp grapefruit seed extract or essential oil (Optional)
- Stir well and mix all the ingredients. Pour in an empty spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Then comes Green Tea.
3. Aloe Green Tea Toner
The tannin in green tea makes it fall under astringent properties. It is also rich with antioxidants which protect our skin from harmful free radicals.
- Steep the green tea leaves in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes and strain it.
- 2 tbsp freshly extracted aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp of green tea and 2-3 drops of essential oil (*You can use tea tree or rosemary essential oil. It is completely optional)
Stir well and mix all the ingredients. Pour in an empty spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Also, Aloe vera possesses astringent properties.
4. Aloe Water Toner
Aloe vera water gets penetrate in our skin at a deeper level and because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it protects our skin from infections.
Take 1/4 cup of freshly extracted aloe vera chunks in a mixing jar and add approximately 2 tbsp of water in it.
*If you want fragrance then you can add 2 to 3 drops of any refreshing essential oil such as lemon or peppermint essential oil.
Grind well and fill this aloe water in an empty spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Even Apple Cider Vinegar is known to have great astringent properties.
5. Aloe Apple Cider Vinegar Toner
It balances our skin’s PH levels too.
But apple cider vinegar is very potent and can irritate the sensitive skin. That is why it is necessary to dilute it in large water portions.
- 4 to 5 tbsp freshly extracted aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 to 6 drops of your preferred essential oil (Optional)
*You can increase the measurement of aloe vera gel according to your skin type. But don’t use lesser than 4 tbsp.
Stir and mix all the ingredients properly. Fill in an empty spray bottle and place the bottle in the refrigerator.
6. Aloe Rice Water Toner
Rice water is a milder and more soothing astringent option as it has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes the inflammation caused by pimples or any other skin allergies plus it balances skin’s PH levels.
- Rinse approximately one cup of rice and soak them in 2 cups of water for half an hour to an hour.
- After that stir and strain the rice water and store it in an empty clean airtight container.
- Add equal parts of freshly extracted aloe vera gel and rice water in a container.
- Add 2 to 3 drops of your favourite essential oil to it and stir well. (Optional)
- Fill it in an airtight spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
You can also add VegetableJuices with Aloe Vera water to customize the toner according to your skin type.
7. Aloe Cucumber Toner
Grate a fresh cucumber and extract its juice. Strain and add:
- 1 tbsp of freshly extracted cucumber juice with
- 2 tbsp of freshly extracted Aloe Vera gel.
- If you wish you can add 2 to 3 drops of any tangy flavoured essential oils such as; lemon essential oil, mint essential oil, tangerine essential oil, or soothing options like; fennel essential oil, sandalwood essential oil, coriander essential oil, etc.
- Mix well and pour the mixture in an empty spray bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
- Other such vegetables are
Or you can use flower waters or flowers teas as toners too.
- Chamomile flower water
- Calendula flower water
If you want to add fragrance to your toner you can add a few drops of essential oils such as;
- Lemon essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Spearmint or peppermint essential oil
These essential oils not only add fragrance but also helps in toning our skin.
*Always do a patch test first before including any of these ingredients in your daily regime.
You can keep them in the refrigerator for some time and use them as face mists too. Or you can fill them in a small spray bottle and carry them with you in your purse.
We have used all the organic ingredients and freshly extracted aloe vera gel in these toners so it is essential to store them in the refrigerator only. Try to make a small batch which lasts for unto 6 to 10 days max.
Or if you want to store them at room temperature then don’t forget to add any broad-spectrum preservative to your batch.
Make your batch and let me know how you liked it! And don’t hesitate to ask me if there are any questions regarding this in the comment section below.