So, who else just loves hummus?
This is one delicious healthy Lebanese food item that can be made in so many different ways, in so many different colours and taste and can be used in so many different ways.
Today in this article I am going to share with you all my way of making basic hummus, hummus platter and hummus salad dressing.
It is my and my husband’s all-time go-to snack or dinner option and you will always find hummus in our refrigerator!
Making and storing hummus has many benefits such as;
- You can just cut carrots or any other vegetables such as cucumber or bell peppers and dip them in hummus and have the best option for a guilt free snacking.
2. You can get all your macronutrients (Proteins, Carbohydrates and Fats) in this one meal
3. It keeps you full for a long time and you can work on your fat loss goal.
4. It is super easy and quick to make. (If you have pre-soaked and cooked chickpeas)
5. You can use hummus in many different recipes such as; stir-fried veggies, salads, sandwich, veggie bowl, one-pot meals, etc.
So, now let’s begin with the basic hummus recipe without any further adieu.
To make hummus we require:
- Overnight soaked chickpeas also known as Kabuli Chana in India.
- Few sesame seeds to make Tahini.
- Peeled garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil or Virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Ground cumin / Jeera powder
- Pepper (optional)
- A few cut olives (for dressing) &
- Sumac berry powder (Optional)
So, first, boil the overnight soaked chickpeas until they become soft so that we can crush them with our fingers.
The softer your chickpeas would be, the creamier our hummus will become.
Meanwhile, take a pan and add 1/4 cup of sesame seeds and roast them until fragrant.
Let it cool down and then toss them into a mixture grinder. Add approx. 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil and grind them until there is a powdery consistency.
Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and grind again until you get a runny consistency.
(It took a total of 3-4 minutes for me.)
Now, check the chickpeas if they are ready. Make sure they are completely cooled down.
Strain the excess water and keep it aside as we will need this water at a later stage.
Take 1 cup of boiled chickpeas and toss them into the mixing jar. If you have a food processor then use it as it is the best option for making hummus.
- Add 2-3 tbsp Tahini
- Squeeze half a lemon
- Add 7-8 garlic pods.
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt / as per taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- And grind them.
Grind for almost 2 minutes. You will get this kind of coarse consistency.
Add 1/4 cup chickpea water and grind again until you get a creamy consistency.
In-between open the lid and scrape out the sides and grind until you get a uniform consistency.
It took 4-5 minutes into the mixture grinder cup but if you are making it in a food processor it will get ready in 2-3 minutes with a fine consistency.
Take out hummus into a bowl and make swirls with a spoon.
In the end, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over it.
Sprinkle sumac berry powder and add a few olive pieces and our homemade super creamy hummus is ready.
Cut 1-2 carrots into long slit pieces
Cut 1 Cucumber into long slit pieces.
If you have Red, yellow and green bell pepper then cut them also into long slit pieces.
Take half a cup of broccoli florets and sauté them a bit.
If you wish you can also make breadsticks,
For that take a slice of bread and cut it into long slits like this. Make sure not to cut them from edge to edge.
Place these bread into the toaster upside down like this so that the cut edge is down.
Once completely toasted, cut the remaining portion like this and it’s ready.
Assemble your platter with these pieces and our homemade hummus platter is ready.
If you don’t want raw veggies then you can also sauté all these veggies a bit with little olive oil.
Add approximately 1 tsp oil into a pan.
Add 1 tsp finely minced garlic.
Once the garlic becomes a little brown in colour add;
Broccoli first and sauté for some time..
Then add carrots,
In the end, add capsicum and bell pepper slices.
Sprinkle some salt and pepper and add them to your hummus platter.
Hummus salad dressing:
- Take a glass bottle with a lid.
- Add 2 tbsp hummus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Half a tsp finely minced garlic. (You can skip adding garlic if you don’t want a too garlicky taste as we have already added garlic in the hummus)
- Squeeze half a lemon
- Sprinkle some Italian seasoning
- Ground cumin
- And chill flakes
Close the lid and shake the bottle until all the ingredients mix well.
Drizzle this hummus salad dressing over your greens and your hummus salad is ready.
Try these recipes and ask me if you have any queries!
I am eagerly waiting to hear your feedback guys about these recipes I am sharing with you all. So, do write to me!