Our health is our greatest wealth!
Get richer by taking care of your health today itself.
In this article I am going to share with you my recipe for making a green smoothie, which is extremely healthy, easy to make and uber delicious.
The first meal of the day – our breakfast is a very crucial meal. Because when we wake up we have already fasted for several hours.
During sleep, our body uses nutrients that we have consumed during the day and is in full repair mode. Our digestive system is also busy with digestion of all the food we have consumed during day time. Our muscles are being built.
In the morning, our digestive system is well rested and ready to digest whatever we eat. So whatever we eat in the morning, is absorved very fast.
It is therefore very important what we put into our system first thing in the morning. Try to take as many essential nutrients as possible.
Having a green smoothie first thing in the morning is a delicious and super healthy way to start your day.
I usually take green smoothies on alternate days. But when possible, I try to have as many days a week as possible as it is delicious and oh, I so love greens!
Try replacing your heavy breakfasts with this glass of green smoothie for a month and see the visible difference in your overall health, fat level, energy level and on your skin & hair.
I am making 2 glasses of green smoothie here. So the measurements I am sharing are accordingly.
- 3 cups of spinach (You can keep altering Spinach with other seasonal greens. Go through the nutrition level of each item first or you can ask me about whatever you are using in the comments.)
- 1 cup of coriander/cilantro
- 2 branches of curry leaves
- 1 whole fresh Indian Gooseberry or Amla. (It is seasonal. You can substitute it with lemon juice too. Half a lemon per glass.)
- ½ Inch Ginger Root
- ½ inch Raw Turmeric Root (It is also seasonal. If you don’t find it you can substitute with 1 tsp of dry turmeric)
- 1 entire apple (Preferably seasonal ones. Always opt for local apples than imported ones as the imported ones are preserved with wax coating. If you are using the wax coated ones then make sure you keep that apple in warm water first to melt off the wax coating before it is safe to eat.)
- Half a banana (I am adding banana in one glass and skipping in the other one)
- ¼ tsp of Black Salt. (per glass)
First make sure you have thoroughly washed all the ingredients.
Peel off ginger and turmeric root and cut them into small pieces.
Cut apple into pieces.
Now, add 2 cups of greens and half a cup of water to a mixing jar and blend the greens first.
Once they are properly ground add 2-3 chunks of each ginger root and raw turmeric root.
Now, add chunks of half an apple and Indian gooseberry. Finally add half a banana and ¼ tsp of black salt to it and grind them all until you get a smooth consistency.
Ohh!! Look at the beautiful green color… !! Our super delicious and healthy green smoothie is ready.
The same way make another glass. ThIs time I am not adding banana. So if you don’t like bananas like my dear husband you can also avoid it.
Also, if you want it a bit sweeter you can add 1-2 dates as natural sweeteners.
Let me tell you the nutrition values of each and every item we have put into our green smoothie.
Greens are very important for our overall health. I don’t need to reiterate as you must have read or heard about the benefits of green leafy vegetables from your parents, grandparents, dietitian or your doctor.
Green leafy vegetables contain very important nutrients and vitamins which detoxes, cleans and nurtures our body.
Spinach / Palakh – (A superfood with low calorie content)
- Spinach contains 91% water part. So it keeps our body well hydrated. The more well hydrated our body is the more glowing skin we possess ;P
- Spinach is rich in calcium, fiber, and folic acid. Calcium is very important for our bone health, especially in females.
- Spinach contains insoluble fibers. Insoluble fibers help create a bulk in our stool which regulates our bowel movement.
- Spinach is rich with Folic acid which helps our body to generate and maintain new cells. Also, folic acid is necessary to prevent anemia. Ladies, Folic acid is our best friend. It is responsible for that healthy glow on our face.
- Spinach is loaded with Antioxidants and minerals such as potassium & magnesium. Antioxidants help our body to fight with harmful radicals.
- Rich with Vitamin A, C, K, B6, B9, E. As it contains vitamin A, C and E it maintains our eye health
- Spinach is an excellent source of Iron. Iron is very important for women. If you are aware there is a campaign going on with name “Awareness about Iron” in women. ‘Invest in Iron not in Gold’
- Spinach has anti inflammatory component Quercetin which reduces the inflammation in our body.
- So by including spinach in your diet you will be enhancing your skin from within.
- It contains minerals such as zinc, iron, copper, etc. which are essential for human body.
- Coriander gives us a soothing and cooling effect.
- According to Ayurveda coriander is excellent to cool down our system and prevent excessive acid formation in our gut.
- It also helps with healing mouth ulcers.
- As we all know coriander is excellent for eye health.
- Coriander is rich with vitamin A,C,E,K,B6, B9.
- It Stimulates our memory power.
- It is a very good source of dietary fibers, thus very good for our digestive system
- Coriander is a rich source of calcium and Iron.
- Full of antioxidants to destroy free radicals.
- It is a great detoxifier which detoxifies our body by removing the heavy metals accumulated in our body.
- Coriander has antibacterial, antiseptic, anti fungal, anti inflammatory properties.
- It is a great disinfectant. Regular consumption of coriander disinfects our organs.
And I personally love that fresh fragrance of coriander!
- Indian gooseberry (Amla) is a rich source vitamin C which helps in treating cold and cough.
- It is excellent for hair and Skin Health.
- It is a great immune booster (You must be knowing how Amla is the main ingredient used in our ‘chyawanpras’)
- Amla is great for digestion. (Remember those ‘pachan-amla’, or ‘dry amla’ used in mukhvas)
- It flushes out toxins from our system and keep it clean and toxin free.
- Proteins and amino acids in Indian gooseberry, helps with hair growth, hair fall control and strengthens the roots.
- It helps in oxidizing melanin levels thus helps in removing skin tan and give a natural glow.
- It maintains overall health of our body.
- Raw turmeric is an excellent skin detoxifier. Regular consumption of an inch of turmeric root makes sure you have a healthy and glowing skin which radiates from within.
- It is an amazing tummy healer.
- It is excellent for our eye health.
- It is a great blood purifier which cleanses our blood and gives a natural glow from within.
- It has an antiseptic properties which protects us from within as well as when applied externally. (Remember how our mom used to dab a pinch of haldi over those cuts to stop bleeding?)
- It is anti-inflammatory which reduces our body’s inflammation and keeps us healthy.
- It has powerful medicinal properties. (According to Ayurveda Haldi is an unltimate healer)
- Regular consumption of raw turmeric boosts digestion related issues.
- It contains powerful antioxidants which protects us from harmful radicals.
- Because of the contents like beta-carotene and proteins, curry leaves are Excellent for hair growth and hair fall control.
- They are great for our eyes.
- Regular consumption of curry leaves protects our liver from toxic substances.
- Curry leaves consumption improves blood circulation in our body.
- Because of high content of proteins and fiber they promote weight loss.
- They are a great source of Iron and folic acid which prevents anemia.
- They are a good source of calcium which is crucial for our bone health, hair health and strong teeth.
- They are loaded with essential minerals and vitamins such as A,C,D, and E.
- They contain amino acids and antioxidants which strengthens the hair follicles and make them stronger.
- If you have Hair fall problem try eating curry leaves raw on everyday bases. (You can thank me later!)
- Ginger cures inflammation nausea and abdominal pain.
- It cures cold and throat infections (Remember the Tulsi+ginger+honey elixir!)
- It is an ultimate healer for all digestive issues (Remember in childhood we used to complain about stomach pain or any stomach related complaints and our moms used to give us pieces of ginger? Don’t you agree how helpful and delicious our ginger teas are!)
- Because it cures and maintains healthy gut it is helpful for lifestyle related issues.
- Ginger strengthens our immune system.
- It reduces headaches and migraines.
- Ginger reduces muscle pain.
- It prevents blood clotting.
You must be aware about the saying, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away!’
- It strengthens our immunity.
- Apple is an excellent source of fiber. (Eat one apple in your breakfast and see how well it boosts your bowel movement)
- Apple contains vitamins A & C which naturally brightens the skin.
- It is a good source of iron which is necessary to build hemoglobin and prevent anemia.
- Apple stimulates weight loss because of the high fiber content.
- It is great for the teeth and gum health.
- Regular consumption of an apple improves our eyesight.
- It is a good source of calcium which strengthens our bones.
- Apple consumption improves brain functions.
- It relieves muscle tension and it can be an excellent post workout food.
- It is a good source of carbs which provides energy thus it can be an excellent pre workout food too.
- Banana is an excellent source of energy.
- Banana can also be a great pre workout and post workout food.
- It is a Good source of potassium which strengthens our brain muscles.
- It boosts ‘feel good enzymes’ and thus reduces depression.
- Banana is high in soluble fibers which helps with constipation and maintains regular bowel movement.
- It is rich with essential vitamins, minerals, good carbs and antioxidants
- It is an excellent source of calcium.
- It is a very good source of dietary fiber.
- Black salt cures heartburn issues because of its anti inflammatory properties.
- Heals indigestion, constipation, bloating and relieves intestinal gas problems.
- It helps in controlling hormones fluctuation.
- It acts as a natural skin cleanser.
- It aids weight loss.
- It helps in relieving muscle cramps & spasms.
- Black salt has cooling properties.
- It is an excellent alternative to salt as it does not cause water retention and prevents stomach bloating.
- Lemons flushes out toxins from our body and cleanses our system.
- Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Lemon balances the PH level of our gut and keeps the flora of our gut clean and healthy.
- They rehydrate our body.
- They are an excellent blood purifier.
- Lemons boost weight loss.
- Regular consumption of lemon juice is great for the texture of our skin.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comment section below.