Beetroot lip balm is my go-to DIY lip balm whenever I am in need for some quick yet effective recipe.
One of the reasons I like beetroot as the main ingredient in my homemade lip balm is because it is has a very prominent tint.
Another reason to choose beetroot is that the colour of the beetroot is very similar to the ideal colour of our lips.
I have use beetroot powder for making this lip balm.
Either you can make the beetroot powder at home by sun-drying small pieces of beetroot or using an oven for the same.
You can also order organic beetroot powder online or from a local store. It is easily available.
Do note that in case you are making the beetroot powder at home, make sure that the pieces of beetroot which are drying using any method are completely dry before you make them into powder form otherwise you won’t get fine powder texture and the granules will stick to each other, eventually leading to less shelf life.
Ingredients Required for Making Beetroot Lip Balm At Home
To make this beetroot lip balm the ingredients we will be needing are;
1. Beetroot powder
2. Almond oil
3. Castor oil
4. Shea butter
6. Lavender essential oil
Quantity of Ingredients Used
- 1 tsp almond oil
- 1/2 tsp shea butter
- 1 tsp beeswax
- 1/4 tsp castor oil
- 3-4 drops lavender essential oil
- 1/2 tsp beetroot powder
How To Make Beetroot Lipbalm – Procedure For Making
To start with, melt almost oil, shea butter, beeswax and castor oil using the double boiler method.
Once melted, turn off the heat and add 1 tsp beetroot powder and stir until completely dissolved.
After it cools down a bit, add 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil.
Stir well and pour it in an empty lip balm container.
Allow it to cool down at room temperature or you can also put it in the refrigerator for one hour to speed up the process.
10 Benefits Of Beetroot for Lips And Skin
As we know, beetroot is a green leafy vegetable which has a bulb portion of taproot known as the beet part. It is used as a food ingredient but it has other uses as well, for instance, it can be used for medicinal purposes and for preparing natural food colouring agents.
Beetroot is a good source of fibre, potassium, manganese, iron, and vitamin C.
Beetroot also has a variety of health benefits such as it is good for our heart, lowers blood pressure, and boost the immune system.
Let’s take a look at how beetroot has been beneficial for Hairs and Skin.
1. Beetroot contains betalains, betalains are phytonutrients found in the beet part that has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification properties, it helps to reduce inflammation on the skin caused due to various ailments such as-
- Allergic Reactions
- Infections are caused by bacteria and viruses.
2. Beetroot is a rich source of Vitamin C. Beetroot extracts can help to get glowing skin as it has vitamin C. It helps the skin to produce chemicals such as collagen and elastin, these chemicals act as anti-ageing substances.
Vitamin C has other benefits such as it can make skin brighter as it has depigmentation properties and it reduces melanin content as well which is responsible for the darkening of the skin.
3. Beetroot can prevent acne as it acts as an antioxidant that detoxifies the body and removes harmful toxins that are responsible for various skin ailments.
4. Beetroot juice can be used to treat dark spots and pigmentation as it has various essential minerals and vitamins.
It can help in curing
- Skin rashes
- Itchy and flaky skin
5. Beetroot is considered to be a natural moisturizer and it can be used to treat dry skin problems. By scrubbing grated beetroot gently over the skin one can make their skin clean and softer.
6. Sugar and Salt can be used along with grated beetroot as a scrub to remove the dull and dead skin layer of lips. By scrubbing this mixture a person can achieve the natural rosy color of lips as the dead skin makes it look darker and dry.
7. Beetroot can be used with other stuff such as by mixing it with milk and honey. This will remove the dryness and it will make the lips more nourished and moisturized.
8. Beetroot has natural bleaching properties that can help to reduce hyperpigmentation, which is the root cause of darker lips, by gently messaging over the lips with carrot juice darkness can be removed.
9. Beetroot is used to make lip stains. Asmall portion of coconut oil can be mixed with beetroot to make it a bit greasy so that it stays over the lips for a longer time, it makes the lips softer and rosy pink in texture.
10. To remove tanning and for glowing skin beetroot can be used with yoghurt and lime and the mixture can be applied as a mask. This will make the skin bright, soft, and would remove blemishes or dark spots.
How To Store Beetroot Lipbalm?
Beetroot lipbalm can easily be stored at room temperature, provided there are no extremes.
As there is no water used in making this lip blam, the shelf life of the product is longer and can easily be used until it lasts.
For best results, store it in small bottles in cool dark place.
That’s it! Hope you like my beetroot lipbalm recipe.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the comments below.